The UK is blessed with an abundance of world class sailing venues. Whether you’re looking for great winds, beautiful sceneries or friendly races, our list of the top five sailing venues in the UK will have you covered.
- Loch Lomond, Scotland : The largest freshwater lake in the country offers days of adventure in perfect tranquillity. A variety of water sport activities are available here, and the Loch Lomond Sailing Club even organise regular races. The Michelin-rated Martin Wishart Loch Lomond Restaurant and Loch Lomond Golf Club provides a touch of sophistication once you get back on land. As an added bonus, you can take comfort from the round-the-clock presence of the Loch Lomond Rescue Boat service.
- Lymington, Hampshire : The port town offers a perfect blend of the English countryside and open water. Located near the Soylent, Lymington boasts of two marinas that have played host to a number of acclaimed sailing regattas such as the Royal Lymington Cup and Source Regatta. If you’re making last-minute plans to visit, keep in mind that a great selection of yachts are also available for charter.
- Fowey and Falmouth, Cornwall : Located just an hour apart, Fowey and Falmouth are small, rustics towns located on Cornwall’s south coast. These ancient ports (Fowey and Falmouth were established in the 12th and 14th century respectively) offer a unique combination of food, art and nightspots to keep your nights busy as you coast lazily on the waters. Falmouth, which is the third deepest harbour in Western Europe, also hosts the Falmouth regatta every summer.
- The Broads, Norfolk and Suffolk : If you’ve ever looked enviously at people riding swamp boats in Louisiana, perhaps it’s time to spend some time in the over 300 km2 of navigable rivers, broads, waterways and lakes of the Broads. The seven rivers and 16 navigable broads here are perfect for lazy cruises under the sun aboard yachts and boats.
- Pwllheli Town, Wales : Pwllheli, the European Centre of Excellence for Sailing, has played hosts to almost three dozen international and national sailing championships over the past decade – a testament to the fantastic sailing experience it provides. Pwllheli also offers visitors with numerous amenities ranging from world class restaurants to luxurious accommodations that will ensure your trip will be a memorable one.